Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hat Crush



Today I would like to introduce the first of many future guest posts. My sister, Volare, who is a collector in her own right will now be joining me from time to time. Here is her first contribution!


I’ve been a hat lover since I was a little kid. Any excuse for wearing a hat - holidays, weddings, picture days - I've been ready to plop one on! Recently, I travelled upstate to Hudson, NY, where I came across a little shop called "B's Hats."As soon as I walked in, I was taken aback -- Inside was a hat lover's paradise! Dozens of breathtaking, handmade hats lined the walls.The lovely designer behind the shop is Behida Dolic. Not only is she a gifted artisan, but also a welcoming lady. She encouraged me to try on hat after hat. I just couldn’t resist! Each and every piece had a timeless quality. Behida is meticulous in her craftsmanship and each hat delicately balances color and form.


This one looks great with short and long hair alike.

Oh, such glamour!




Apart from being a talented milliner, Behida (pictured above with her pup Dancho) has also had a fascinating life journey that began as a Balkan war refugee and led to owning her business in the Hudson Valley. You can read more about this in her interview on Etsy's Featured Seller Blog, or her shop site.


The lines and movement in this hat melt my heart!

If you ever find yourself in Upstate New York, you ought to factor in a visit to B's Hats. But if you can't make it, there's always her Etsy shop, Behida Dolic Millinery. Behida's hats are definitely investment pieces, but if you've always dreamed of owning your own signature, one-of-a-kind hat, then look no further. There are so many beautiful pieces with a touch of 1920s and 1930s flair! Do you wear a hat everyday? Would you wear one for special occasions?

*Model photos are from Behida's Etsy shop. All other photos are from author's personal collection

1 comment: