Friday, February 24, 2012

Kari Herer Photography: Romance is Everywhere

When I first moved into my apartment, I went on a hunt for some interesting artwork for my newly painted kitchen.  While trolling Etsy (if you haven't noticed by now, it's something I do regularly) I discovered the photography of Kari Herer.  I was smitten.  Kari sees romance in everything she photographs.  The purity in her imagery transmits an aura of ease and innocence.  It's not naivete.  It is an ability to view ordinary objects with grace, whether by honing in on their color, form, or texture.  I find it so uplifting.








I purchased the three prints above for the kitchen- The fork with Protea, knife with Protea, and ladle with robin's eggs.  Kari printed them on a really lovely, lightly textured, acid-free paper.  They are perfect in small, black frames.
When I visited the official Kari Herer Photography website, I learned that Kari doesn't only photograph still life.  She shoots weddings, Parisian streetscapes, and animals, and photographs lots of kids, including her own whom she features regularly on her blog.  Nevertheless, her still life remains the magnetic attraction for me.  This Magnolia Bug no.6657, pictured above, has been captivating me for months.  I love this mixed-media concept of a botanical illustration.  The soft white background allows the textures to tell the story.  The bug's body comes to life under the velvety magnolia petals.
Above:  Fairy-tale-like rabbits made from roses and ranunculus.
Below:  Rich colors and deep textures make this botanical piece feel simultaneously vivid and elegantly decadent.
  
I can't get enough of Kari's work.  I could literally fill an entire room with it and still never get tired of it.  Why?  Because I love romance, and because Kari's photos find romance in everything her lens settles upon.  It's contagious in the best possible way.  Bravo.
All images in this post were by Kari Herer.


No comments:

Post a Comment