Friday, December 14, 2012

My Artful Weekend Trip to Rochester, NY

George Eastman House grounds

Last weekend I spend a few days with my boyfriend and his family up in Rochester, NY.  It was such a nice trip, I wanted to share a few photos.  Now, I know it's December and with winter nipping at your nose, heading north is probably the last thing you want to do right now. However, if you staying cozy and warm is your goal, then maybe a weekend in Rochester is exactly what you need.  Between all the beautiful art museums, homey restaurants, and warm folks to meet, you might find yourself snug as a bug in a rug.


George Eastman House

You cannot miss The George Eastman House!  This mansion turned museum was once home to the Kodak entrepreneur.  Between the beautiful revolving exhibits, permanent collections, impeccable grounds, decadent architectural details, and rich history the Eastman House is a sight to behold.  The current special exhibit, 60 From the 60s is mesmerizing.  Easily one of my favorite special exhibits of late.  If you're worried that kids won't be that interested in yet another museum, never fear.  They'll love the fantastical, Jumanji-esque aura of the home.  And if you go right now, the impressive Gingerbread House Display will have them oohing and aahing.  I mean, check out these masterpieces!

60 From the 60s Exhibit

San Marcos, Texas, 1964 by Garry Winogrand
60 From the 60s Exhibit

George Eastman House "Living Room"

Memorial Art Gallery

The Memorial Art Gallery is another home run. They've just installed a fantastic Centennial Sculpture Park on the gallery grounds complete with Tom Otterness works, and soon a Jackie Ferrara piece, among others.  I was on a time crunch and didn't have time to go in the gallery this time around.  However, last time I was in Rochester, the Extreme Materials exhibit was as inventive as it was exciting.  I wish I could have gotten at least of the Framing Edo exhibit that's currently up, but maybe I'll be back in spring and catch the upcoming, Art Reflected.

Tom Otterness sculptures from at Memorial Art Gallery
Tom Otterness at the Memorial Art Gallery

Tom Otterness depicts woman creating man at Memorial Art Gallery

Tom Otterness at Memorial Art Gallery

Tom Otterness at Memorial Art Gallery

The Owl House

I'm a mild food snob.  While I'm not the worst of the worst, I do live in Brooklyn, and I think it comes with the territory that you become spoiled living amongst the endless and imaginative choices of fine cuisines from around the world.  That said, my lunch at The Owl House in Rochester left me wondering why in the world my neighborhood doesn't have a place like this!  There was food for all tastes on the menu, but as a vegetarian I was especially pleased that I didn't have to search around for a second-rate option.  Instead, I was overwhelmed with the plethora of hearty, yes hearty, and delicious choices.  Between the scrumptious food and well-selected beer list, I could see myself eating brunch here every weekend.  On second thought, maybe it's best we don't have The Owl House in the city...

The Owl House.  Photo from Easy Vegan.

The Owl House Yumminess.  Photo from Chasin' Cakes.

Beer taps at The Owl House.  Photo from Beer Lens.

I didn't have time to get into too much shopping or searching around for good finds, but I promise next time I'll bring you more of that.  In the meantime, you record collectors should check out the Bop Shop online store.  It's a super spot for digging!  More details on the store itself on the next trip.  ;)

Have you been on any great trips lately?  Got any winter travel recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment